Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Recipe - CHILI CHEESE ENCHILADAS

I had about 3/4 of a large peanut butter jar full of leftover chili from yesterday's lunch and just a small amount of leftover shredded cheese and I was trying to think what I could do with it. Here's what I came up with for lunch today...


CHILI CHEESE ENCHILADAS

leftover chili
shredded cheddar cheese
6 corn tortillas
one recipe of enchilada sauce (below)


I prepared the enchilada sauce first.

Enchilada Sauce

1/4 canola oil
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup chili powder
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
salt to taste

Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in flour and chili powder; reduce heat to medium, and cook until lightly browned, stirring constantly to prevent burning; reduce heat. Mix the tomato sauce, water, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt, and gradually add to the chili powder, flour, and oil mixture. Continue cooking and stirring over medium heat until sauce begins to bubble and is slightly thickened.

While the oven was pre-heating to 400 degrees I sprayed a large baking dish with pan spray and coated the bottom of the pan with a thin layer of the enchilada sauce. Next I divided the chili into six equal portions and spooned it into the 6 corn tortillas, added a layer of cheese to each, rolled them up, and placed them, seam-side down, side-by-side, in the baking dish. I topped the whole thing with the rest of the enchilada sauce, making sure that each tortilla was completely covered in sauce, and sprinkled the top with just a bit more cheese. I baked in the hot oven until the enchiladas were heated through, the cheese was melted, and the sauce was bubbling. It was VERY good and I will definitely make this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your readership and love reading your comments! Please leave one today so that I know you were here! Have a wonderful day and God bless you!