Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day 2012

Photo Borrowed From My Friend Bev Cooper

Memorial Day Weekend 2012 has arrived and, for most of us, is nearly over. Memorial Day Weekend used to be a much-looked-forward-to-holiday in our family, but in years of late, Memorial Day Weekend has been hard on our family.

Three years ago, it was at the start of Memorial Day Weekend, that our 17-month-old grandson lost his leg in an accident, two years ago...it was on Memorial Day...that my uncle died of a massive heart attack, and, last year, Memorial Day Weekend followed on the heals of the devastating tornado in Joplin, Missouri, which, being just a few miles down the road from us, and, while it didn't effect our family directly, it did effect friends and families of others that we know and love, and it was just such a horrible time of devastating loss for our entire area. By the time Memorial Day Weekend rolled around last year I was pretty bombed out emotionally, but, as you can read in last year's post, our youngest son, unknowingly, came to my rescue and, for that, I was so incredibly thankful!

Now, today, we are back on track and are planning the first Memorial Day Weekend family get-together that we have had, I think, since my mother passed away nearly seven years ago. As far as I know, all, but one, of our children and their families plan on being there. I am getting ready to make up a recipe of my favorite Kansas City Style Barbecue Sauce so as to prepare a big pan of barbequed baked beans to take along and add to the festivities. My list of what to take along is made and my heart is filled with gratitude to the Lord as, once again, our family is blessed enough to come together. The only thing that saddens me is that, due to the many miles between us, our youngest daughter and her husband won't be able to join us, but, either way, I am thankful that we are able to stay in contact via the phone and computer. Perhaps we'll talk this evening. <3

Anyway, I just wanted to drop in and wish everyone a Happy Memorial Day! I pray that all is well with you and yours and that you are enjoying this time of rest, relaxation, and reflection as, together as a nation, we remember those who have fought and died to keep us free and, in the process, have, officially, kicked off the summer 2012 season. Have a blessed day!

All My Love,
~Rebecca

2 comments:

  1. Happy and blessed Memorial Day, Rebecca! Enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sherrey! Have a blessed week ahead! (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete

I value your readership and love reading your comments! Please leave one today so that I know you were here! Have a wonderful day and God bless you!