Friday, October 12, 2012

Five Minute Friday - Race

It's FRIDAY! That means it's time for another Five Minute Friday where, as our hostess and inspiration, Lisa-Jo Baker, puts it, we write "For only five short, bold, beautiful minutes. Unscripted and unedited. We just write without worrying if it’s just right or not." 

Today's topic is race. So...here...we...
Go!

It seems that most of my days are spent in a blur of pouring out self in order to meet the need of others. Most of the time I feel like I'm racing here, racing there, and racing yonder...never doing anyone or anything justice. Everything is always kind of done half-way. Come to think about it, when I look back, it seems that I've always been racing...even when I was little...always in a hurry to do the next thing. For what? What's the hurry? I recently read something that helped me a lot. It was in one of Ann Voskamp's daily posts where Ann said something about being 'faithful to do the next thing'. I can't remember everything she said, but, whatever it was I came away, after reading it, with the feeling that it's not in how much we can accomplish, but rather it's about faithfully accomplishing the next thing in full and to completion. Does that make sense? Whatever it was that Ann said and however she said it, it challenged me to purposefully stop racing through life, to purposefully slow down, and to purposefully, faithfully do the next thing...whatever it might be.

Stop!


6 comments:

  1. wow, that totally described me as well! i am visiting from 5 minute fridays - just want to let you know your post encouraged me. i really want to stop racing and stressing - yes, there is so much to do all the time with 5 little ones, but i hate the feeling of constant rushing. anyways, great encouragement for my current day.

    my recent post: to finish the race strong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for posting, Charis! I'm happy to know that my post encouraged you. Perhaps we can both learn to slow down and savor the moment. :) Blessings! ~Rebecca

      Delete
  2. Love the post. Racing isn't always necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kaity! I'm just now starting to learn that. It's hard to slow down, but I'm determined! Blessings! :)

      Delete

I value your readership and love reading your comments! Please leave one today so that I know you were here! Have a wonderful day and God bless you!