Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Zucchini Pie

A friend of mine shared this recipe with me yesterday, and I couldn't wait to try it. This pie is absolutely delicious (tastes like apple), and it's a great way to use up an abundance of zucchini!

4 cups zucchini (peeled)
1 1/2 tsp. cream of tarter
dash of salt
2 T. flour
dash of nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 T. lemon juice
1 tsp. butter
one nine-inch unbaked pie shell

Cut zucchini lengthwise; scoop out seeds with a spoon. Slice to resemble apple slices. Cook zucchini 10 minutes in small amount of water; drain. Mix cream of tarter, salt, flour, nutmeg, sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice with zucchini. Pour into pie shell and dot with butter.

Topping:

1 stick oleo (I used light butter)
1/2 c. sugar (I used brown sugar)
1 c. flour

Mix until crumbly, then cover pie with crumbly mixture. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.


(NOTE: I didn't have any cream of tarter, so I omitted it in my pie, and since, at my husband's request, I make most of our pies crustless now days, I omitted the pie shell, too. On the rare occassion that I do make a crust I've got a good oil crust recipe that I use (we only use olive or canola oil; haven't bought shortening in over 4 years now. Either way, this pie is very good!)

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to trying this when I get some good-sized zucchinis, Rebecca....thanks for posting the recipe! I never use shortening in my crusts either---haven't for years---always use olive oil...and they come out great!!

    ReplyDelete

I value your readership and love reading your comments! Please leave one today so that I know you were here! Have a wonderful day and God bless you!