Monday, June 6, 2011

Drying Herbs


Yesterday was spent collecting and drying herbs. The basil was in the oven to dry during church, then  the others...parsley, chives, sage, and oregano...followed throughout the afternoon and evening afterwards.

I've found the easiest way to do them is to collect the herbs (I just snip mine off with a pair of scissors...not too short, because I want them to keep producing...just kind of give them a haircut), wash them (I rinse each leaf or sprig under running water in the sink), give them a spin in my salad spinner to remove excess water, and lay them out on two large cookie sheets. Next, I put them into a preheated 170 degree oven, in which both shelves have been moved a few inches apart in the exact middle of the oven. Two hours later the herbs are dried, ready to be crushed, and put into glass jars and labeled for storage.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your readership and love reading your comments! Please leave one today so that I know you were here! Have a wonderful day and God bless you!