Monday, November 21, 2011

Good MONDAY Morning - 11/21/11 - Failed Yogurt Experience and Weight-loss Update

Good Morning, Dear Ladies! It's Monday! (I know some people hate Mondays, but I love them!)

I was up early this morning. Had the cats fed, the dog out, and the chickens fed, watered, and out just after daybreak. Since then I've been baking. Have made two pumpkin pies for tomorrow (an early Thanksgiving with my dad and a friend), a dozen muffins to freeze, and cornbread is baking in the oven now for lunch today.

Over the weekend I had a failed yogurt experience. I used my usual homemade yogurt recipe (and if anyone want to try it, please, read both of these articles before starting - Homemade Yogurt and Perfecting The Process) except, due to the fact that I haven't made yogurt in a while, I was out of homemade starter, so, this time, I tried a less expensive yogurt to use as my starter. I used Dannon-brand, plain, Greek yogurt instead of Oikos-brand, plain, Greek yogurt like I normally do. It didn't work!

When I got up Saturday morning, instead of having a crockpot full of nice, thick, homemade yogurt, I had slightly thickened yogurt-milk! Oh,no! I didn't want to waste it, so I went ahead and bottled it up into two quart jars. I've been using the yogurt-milk instead of regular milk in my baking...namely in the muffins and cornbread. It worked great! No flavor difference really...just a moister, creamier texture...quite good, in fact! Anyway, I wanted to share that with you all and tell you, if you try the homemade yogurt, please, be sure and use Oikos-brand, plain, Greek, yogurt as your starter...not something cheaper.

I've had several people ask me how the weight-loss is coming along. Well, when I first shared about my struggles with the weight-loss back in June of 2011 I was weighing in at 257 pounds (that was down 29 pounds from an all-time high of 286 pounds). At last check-in here (August of 2011) I was 8/10 of a pound away from reaching my next goal of 247 pounds. I have surpassed that one, met another, and am currently 2/10 of pound away from reaching my current goal of 225 pounds. When I hit 218 I will be halfway to the final goal from where my journey began. At my starting point I need to lose a total of 136 pounds; at present I am 76 pounds away from reaching that final goal.

 Well, my kitchen timer is going off and the cornbread is about ready to come of the oven, so I am going to close for now. I wish you all a wonderful Monday and a Happy Thanksgiving week! God bless all here!

All My Love,
~Rebecca

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That's some losing! Well done... I know it's not easy - not when we love our food :) So, that's a real achievement. I bet you feel all the better for it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Anne! You are so right about it not being easy when we love our food, but the Lord is good! He's delivered me from alcohol and cigarette addictions in the past, and now He's working on this food thing. And, yes! I definitely feel much better! More and more so as time goes on! Thanks again for stopping in! God's blessings upon you!

    ReplyDelete

I value your readership and love reading your comments! Please leave one today so that I know you were here! Have a wonderful day and God bless you!