Saturday, June 23, 2012

A Saturday Afternoon Getaway

Things have been pretty hectic here this week, so my husband and I decided to take a little jaunt out to Prairie State Park as a mini getaway. It is only about five miles from our house and our family has spent a lot of time out there over the past 17 years. Three of our children have worked (or are working) there full-time and I think just about everyone in our family has volunteered there at one event or another. Anyway, John and I went out to see how the gayfeather (a.k.a. blazing star) was coming along and took a few pics. I thought that I'd share them with you and I hope you enjoy this little taste of Missouri's Tallgrass Prairie on a hot summer day!

Ladies Tresses Orchid - A friend in MDC told us that this is a pretty rare find!  

Gayfeather - Not quite bloomed out yet, but still very pretty!

Sunflower - I'm not sure what variety, but it is definitely a sunflower!
Rattlesnake Master - An odd looking fellow!  Don't you agree?

Black-Eyed Susans - A very common prairie flower.
Vervain - Growing in front of the Visitor Center. Isn't it gorgeous?

Not a wildflower, but saw this shaggy beast (bison) grazing a ways from the herd. 

The Bison Herd - An enjoyable site at PSP...IF you're fortunate enough to encounter them...which, today, we were! 

Gray-Headed Cone Flowers - Growing along the roadside on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your readership and love reading your comments! Please leave one today so that I know you were here! Have a wonderful day and God bless you!