Friday, July 26, 2013

HOMESCHOOLING: Project Learning Tree - 7/25/13

Yesterday was a totally AWESOME day! Our youngest daughter-in-law, Crissy, and I attended Project Learning Tree at Walter Woods Conservation Area near Joplin, MO. It was hosted by the Missouri Department of Conservation. Two of my favorite people in the world, Jeff Cantrell and Cyndi Cogbill, served as our instructors.

Now, while it's true that I, myself, just ended a nearly quarter-of-a-century homeschool-teaching-career, and that my newly acquired daughter-in-law has no children of her own, and hasn't spent a day of homeschooling in her life, we both felt it was imperative that I be there...and, since no one else was able to go with me, she decided to go along, keep me company, and have a little adventure of her own...and she did. And so did I! I'm so glad we did! Our day was spent with eight public school teachers, one private school teacher, two master naturalists, and six naturalists representing several Missouri state parks and wildlife areas and, together, WE. HAD. A. BALL! I was the only person there representing area homeschoolers.

Crissy and I spent a full day at Walter Woods (9:00 to 4:00), and participated in multiple activities that gave us experience with, and ideas on how to use, the materials that we received. We were also, very generously, blessed with a copy of the Cooking Wild In Missouri cookbook by our instructors before leaving. The materials that I received will be sown into our grandchildren (eight of whom are being homeschooled currently) and other homeschoolers within my sphere of influence through the Frontiers group, etc. I am thinking about taking classes and becoming a master naturalist myself, which would further enhance my learning and teaching abilities.

Anyway...here are few photos from our classes yesterday...I hope you enjoy!

Cyndi Cogbill - "I teach HOW to think, not WHAT to think." Right on!

Jeff Cantrell on the veranda at Walter Woods Conservation Area.

Project Learning Tree Materials

Jeff teaching out on the grounds at Walter Woods.

Learning along the trail at Walter Woods.

Dodder overtaking the Jewel Weed along the creek at Walter Woods...a parasitism.

Learning along the trail...on the bridge...along the trail...at Walter Woods.
(Doesn't that kind of sound like some children's poem?)

Tall Bell Flowers

Crissy and I ended our day with a wade in Shoal Creek below The Falls.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your readership and love reading your comments! Please leave one today so that I know you were here! Have a wonderful day and God bless you!