Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Trim Healthy Mama - The Journey Continues


It's been a busy week and weekend, and we still haven't finished reading the Trim Healthy Mama in its entirety, but everyday we seem to be learning something new. And, while this week has been far from perfect, we are pretty much set up in on-plan foods, and have made several new recipes, most of which we enjoyed, but, we are also coming to some conclusions.

#1 - We are definitely going to have to take finances into consideration and settle into a more economical system of menu planning. I have yet to set anything down on paper, but am thinking that we probably need to alternate egg white dishes, with, or without turkey sausage, or turkey bacon on occasion, with oatmeal for breakfasts, and the hearty soups (Red or Green) for lunches. I made a half recipe of the Hearty Green Soup on page 334 this past week and it is very good and it's very economical! A half recipe has fed my husband and I for days (a bowl each for either lunch or supper) and one day we even shared some of it with company! By alternating these breakfast and lunch ideas on a regular basis, we will just have to plan nice suppers and can put most of the allotted grocery money into those meals.

#2 - I still haven't figure out if we started off wrong, if we're missing something, or what, but where on-plan foods according to the book, in places anyway, include things like full-fat butter, full-fat cheese, full-fat cream cheese, ground beef, etc., we have decided to stick with foods that we traded those items in for long ago. Light butter instead of full-fat butter or margarine, 2% cheese in place of full-fat cheese, Neufchatel or fat-free cream cheese instead of full-fat cream cheese, ground turkey instead of ground beef, etc. Why add the extra fat and calories when there is no need to?

The thing that we feel that we've learned the most about thus far is the effect that sugar has on the body and how most of the foods that we were eating before, and the combinations in which we were eating them, created a never-ending process of glucose clean-up, which, in turn, made it impossible for the body to ever get to stored fat and use it as a fuel source. We feel so much better getting off the sugar and, did I mention? I love Truvia! And thanks to a new found love affair with cauliflower, I don't miss white potatoes at all, either. That is something that I never thought would happen! Wow!

I do wish I would have measured before starting this journey though because my clothes are definitely feeling looser. I need to buckle down and get more serious with everything, and I need to start walking again!

Well, I guess that's it for this week. To all you other ladies who are endeavoring to go the Trim Healthy Mama way, I wish you well. Feel free to drop in, comment, and let us know how things are progressing on your end. In the meantime, love to all and God bless!

All My Love,
~Rebecca

#thm


No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your readership and love reading your comments! Please leave one today so that I know you were here! Have a wonderful day and God bless you!