Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Rustic Oat and Wheat Bread

Greetings, Dear Friends!

It's been forever since I've been with you. (At least it feels like it's been forever!)

Since going to work part-time, my life has been totally different and it's taken me a long, long time to adjust. I've been working since June and am just now working myself back into some normal-for-me-activities...like baking and blogging...neither of which I've not done for months, but both of which I am doing today.

It's autumn here in southwest Missouri and with the arrival of cool, damp weather my husband has had him a hankerin' for some good old-fashioned, homemade bread...specifically, his favorite, my Rustic Oat and Wheat Bread. He asked me last night if it might be possible to make a loaf or two for him soon. So, first this morning, I started baking and oh! How wonderful the house smells!

While I was at it I thought I might as well go ahead and share the recipe here. This is a great recipe for a hardy bread that is just made to go with wintertime soups and stews. If you end up trying it, I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine has over the years. It's simply delicious!

Until Next Time,
~Rebecca



RUSTIC OATS AND WHEAT BREAD

1 cup rolled wheat
1/4 firmly packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups boiling water
1/4 cup molasses
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 packages active dry yeast
2/3 cup water heated to 105 to 115 degrees F.
4 3/4 to 5 3/4 cups unbleached flour
1 cup regular old-fashioned oats

Topping

1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon old-fashioned oats

Spray two cookie sheets with cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine rolled wheat, brown sugar, salt, 2 cups boiling water molasses and oil; mix well. Cool to 105 to 115 degrees F. In small bowl, dissolve yeast in 2/3 cup water. Add to cooled rolled wheat mixture. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Add 2 cups flour to rolled wheat mixture. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 2 minutes at medium speed. By hand, stir in 1 cup regular oats and 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 cups flour until dough pulls cleanly away from sides of bowl.

On floured surface, knead in 1/2 to 1 cup flour until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place dough in greased bowl; cover loosely with greased plastic wrap and cloth towel. Let rise in warm place (80 to 85 degrees F.) until light and doubled in size, about 45 to 60 minutes.

Punch dough down several times to remove all air bubbles. Divide dough in half; shape into balls. Place on sprayed cookie sheets. With sharp knife, slash a 1/4 inch deep lattice design in top of each loaf. Cover; let rise in warm place until light and doubled in size, about 45 to 60 minutes.

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Brush loaves with beaten egg; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon regular oats. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes or until deep golden brown and loaves sound hollow when lightly tapped. Remove from cookie sheets; cool on wire racks. Makes 2 (16 slice) loaves.

2 comments:

  1. This looks suspiciously like Pillsbury's Rustic Oats & Wheat Bread, ( okay, EXACTLY like Pillsbury's Rustic Oats & Wheat Bread).from Country Baking and Cooking c1989

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It very well could be. I don't remember where I got the recipe, but I've been making it for decades. It was my husband's absolute favorite!

      Delete

I value your readership and love reading your comments! Please leave one today so that I know you were here! Have a wonderful day and God bless you!