Saturday, July 1, 2017

Dollar-S-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g, Cabinet-Clearing, Clean-Up-The-Food Project Kick-off

Greeting, Dear Friends!

Well...here it is July 1st and we're ready to kick-off our "Dollar-S-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g, Cabinet-Clearing, Clean-Up-The-Food" project and I'm excited!!!

On Monday (6/26) my husband and I took a complete inventory of food on-hand. In a notebook I wrote three headings: cabinets, refrigerator, and freezer. Then, I listed every single food item that we had on-hand in the appropriate category.  Knowing what we had on-hand would make it easier to plan meals, plus it would help us know we needed to purchase in order to round things out. We concentrated on using up leftovers and odd bits and pieces of partially used packages of food over the last week of June.

I did our usual end-of-the-month shopping on Thursday (6/29). Normally, this is a really big shopping day. It's usually the only time I make it near an Aldi's and I like to stock up. At Aldi's and Walmart combined I typically spend around $200-$250 the last week of the month. Now, that includes food, paper goods, household and cleaning products, pet food, office supplies, and other miscellaneous items here and there as needed, and, even at that, I always end up making at least one extra trip to Walmart during the middle of the month (usually it ends up being more like two or three). 😮 In fact, in going back through recent receipts, I am ashamed of the amount of money that I've been spending at Walmart! No more! I need to get a handle on this and I am thankful for this wake-up call!



On this week's trip (6/29) I only spent $25.92 at Aldi's and $99.94 at Walmart. Most of that was on fresh items (fruit, vegetables, bread, milk, and yogurt), paper goods, and cleaning supplies. The rest of it was on the few items needed to round out items on-hand in order to turn them into complete meals.

Well, that's my kick-off report! My plan is to update our progress on a weekly basis. Pray for me to have wisdom, creativity, fortitude, and self-control in the days ahead. I really, REALLY want (and need) to make this work. Thank you all so much!

Until next time,
~Rebecca

Recent and other posts that you might enjoy:

Celebrating America's Birthday


Dollar-S-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g, Cabinet-Clearing, Clean-Up-The-Food Project Plans For July


Five Minute Friday - BLESSING




Please read Rebecca's Hearth and Home Blog online @ http://rebeccashearthandhome-proverbs31heart.blogspot.com/ and, if it has touched or inspired you in some way, please, leave a comment and let me know. I love hearing from my readers! 




2 comments:

  1. Making a complete inventory is always key to getting the most out of what you have on hand. You can do this friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Laura! I'm definitely excited about the challenge! :)

      Delete

I value your readership and love reading your comments! Please leave one today so that I know you were here! Have a wonderful day and God bless you!