Friday, September 1, 2017

Five Minute Friday - NEIGHBOR




Five Minute Friday a free write, which means, as our hostess, Kate Motaung, says, "...no editing, no over-thinking, no worrying about perfect grammar or punctuation. Just write."

This week's prompt is: NEIGHBOR


Go!


In posting this week's prompt, Kate asks, "What comes to mind when you think of the word NEIGHBOR?"

Ahhhh! For me, the word "neighbor" evokes a myriad of beautiful, joy-filled memories of days gone by...golden days...days I will always cherish and never forget.

They moved in next-door in September of 2004. I had been told that they "homeschooled like we did", but I doubted that very much because NOBODY "homeschooled like we did." I wasn't even sure that I wanted to get to know them well enough to find out. Well...actually...I was sure that I didn't, but...as it turned out, God had other plans.

It was friendly enough...a smile and "hello" in passing across the lawn, until New Year's Day 2005. At around 7:00 a.m. on January 1st someone started knocking frantically on our front door. I jumped out of bed to discover my new neighbor standing there, obviously distraught, asking if she might come in because she needed to talk. Like myself, she was a pastor's wife, and she and her husband had just arrived home from a rather unsettling situation that they had been called into in the middle of the night. She needed a cup of tea. I got her settled in the kitchen, then excused myself to get dressed and presentable. After that we talked nonstop until late afternoon. In doing so we discovered that we were, indeed, like-minded in many areas (including our homeschooling methods) and the rest is history.

My new neighbor, Robin, became one of the closest neighbors and dearest friends I've ever known. What followed that first day of fellowship turned into what became referred to, by both of us, as "the golden years"...long days of fun-filled, zany adventures...some homeschool related and some not.  

Robin and I shared a great love for the Lord Jesus Christ and often discussed Biblical theology. We enjoyed taking our children on field trips together and kicking around natural areas just to bask in the beauty and wonder of God's glorious creation. We enjoyed teatime and Pride and Prejudice and Lord of the Rings movie marathons, blueberry pie at midnight, and whole host of other wild, wonderful, and crazy things. 

All of these things ended when Robin and her family moved away to East Tennessee. Oh, how I missed her!!! The emotion of missing her was so strong that my heart, literally, ached for want of breaking.

She came back once or twice for a quick visit, but, the last time she came, I was sick in bed and wasn't able to converse with her at all. It wasn't long after that that she called to tell me that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer. After a long and courageous battle I called her to check on her one day (or she called me...I can't remember). She said that something was different and that this was it. Two days later, on December 23, 2012, my beautiful friend and forever neighbor...my beloved "sister-by-heart"...was gone. 

My heart still aches for want of seeing Robin's face again...hearing her voice...her "Hey, Lady!" or "Good gravy!!!"...but I will see her soon enough. What we shared was eternal. I have no doubt that what we shared here, we will share there, but there our relationship will be perfected in the Light of our glorious Lord and Savior!

I love you, Robin, and I miss you, but soon, my dear friend! Soon...and very soon...we will all be together again! <3

Robin and I




Stop!

Until next time...
~Rebecca


Recent posts that you might enjoy - 


Five Super Simple Ways To Stash Some Extra Cash




3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story of a wonderful relationship. So sorry for your loss of such a great friend. The hope of seeing her again one day will sustain you, along with the memories of your time together. Thanks - I really appreciated reading this.

    Jeannie (next to you at #43 in the FMF linkup)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading the story of your friendship and I'm glad you have such beautiful memories to comfort you and the hope of seeing Robin again one day. Visiting from FMF #13.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful memory! I'm so sorry you lost your sweet friend to breast cancer. How wonderful you were able to share life together for the time you had.
    I'm at the #46 spot in FMF. God bless!

    ReplyDelete

I value your readership and love reading your comments! Please leave one today so that I know you were here! Have a wonderful day and God bless you!