Monday, October 23, 2017

31 Days of the Joys of Autumn - Celebrating the Harvest

Over the weekend we were blessed with a couple of bags of freshly picked green peppers and tomatoes from a family member's garden. I really didn't have the time or inclination to can them, so, when I got home from work last night I jumped right in and set to work on freezing them. 

Freshly Picked Green Peppers and Tomatoes
After going through the tomatoes, to make sure there weren't any bad spots, I threw them into the food processor, skins and all, and worked them up into fresh tomato sauce. I poured them into freezer bags that had previously been labeled and popped them right into the deep freeze. I ended up with four quarts of fresh tomato sauce. These will be added to soups, stews, or chili in the coming days.
Fresh Tomato Sauce
When I was done with the tomatoes, I started on the green peppers. I cleaned and halved some for stuffed peppers; others I cut into strips for stir-fry. Still others I chopped up small to be put in omelets and other dishes by the handful. I gave a few away and still ended up with six quarts of green peppers in the deep freeze. 

Green Peppers
In addition to the green peppers and tomatoes, we have been blessed with an abundance of potatoes...100 pounds, in fact! I've given most of the potatoes away, but am getting ready to freeze what's left of the 20 pounds that we kept. I wasn't aware that you could freeze potatoes, but you can as long as you parboil them first. When I'm finished I should end up with about 15 pounds of potatoes in the freezer. All of these things will help carry us through the long winter months ahead, while saving on the grocery bill at the same time.

Celebrating the harvest is definitely one of the joys of autumn!

Until next time...
~Rebecca

Addendum...

Ended up with nine quarts of potatoes in the freezer.

Potatoes Ready For The Deep Freeze

Recent posts that you might enjoy:


No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your readership and love reading your comments! Please leave one today so that I know you were here! Have a wonderful day and God bless you!