Monday, May 28, 2018

Happy Homemaker Monday - May 28, 2018

Today I'm joining Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom and
all of the wonderful ladies of 
Happy Homemaker Monday!

Good morning, Sweet Ladies! Happy Monday! And Happy Memorial Day! 💗


I had a great time at spring training last week, but was sure glad to get home. We had had terrible storms the night before I left and, sadly, the wind took down one of our redbud trees and the big cherry tree.



The Redbud Tree - Fortunately, it just rested gently against, instead
of crushing, the bench, but the tree is broken off at the root.


The Cherry Tree - It is loaded with cherries. We're going to leave it alone for the time being to
see if it's got enough life left in it to go ahead and produce this year's crop. We are hopeful!
 
These particular cherry trees have very special meaning for our family. They originated on the place that my husband grew up. His dad had them and he gave my dad starts of them when John and I were just kids. Both of us grew up enjoying cherries from these trees. When my dad moved, he moved starts of the original trees and they've been producing ever since. I cried when the big tree went down, but, it was old and part of it was dead. It's being gone will make room for the new trees to grow and many of them are already producing, so that means that we're still in business! I love turning the cherries into pies and jelly! 🍒

Right now I am...


Eating breakfast and enjoying a cup of Twining's Irish Breakfast Tea while I work on this post.

On the breakfast plate...

An egg and egg white omelet with 2% cheese and fat-free turkey breast slices.

The weather...

Right now it is 82 degrees, hot, sunny, and humid. The high today, as well as every day in the foreseeable future, is supposed to be in the 90's. 😰 

Have I ever mentioned that summer is my least favorite season? We're not even officially there yet and I'm already tired of it. 😳 I don't handle heat well and, if I could, I would live in a world where autumn reigned supreme year-round! 🍁🍂🍁🍂🍁

On my reading pile...


Life in the Spirit Study BIble, Along the Way: Building a Legacy That Changes Lives by Lynette Hagin, The Busy Woman's
Guide to Healthy Eating
 by Emily Barnes and Sue Gregg and Ella Mayfield's Paw paw Militia by Fay Risner.

I finished Osage Autumn by Patrick Brophy. In addition to daily scripture reading I am still reading Along the Way: Building a Legacy That Changes Lives by Lynette Hagin. I am also reading The Busy Woman's Guide to Healthy Eating by Emily Barnes and Sue Gregg and Ella Mayfield's Paw paw Militia by Fay Risner (a local historical fiction book). 

On the menu this week...

Monday - chicken with black beans and rice with homemade tortillas
Tuesday - split pea soup (freezer), orange tossed salad with sweet lite dressing, and whole-wheat popovers
Wednesday - baked Parmesan chicken, brown rice pilaf, and steamed broccoli
Thursday - feta turkey burgers and oven fries
Friday - broiled salmon, baked sweet potatoes, beets, and whole-wheat popovers
Saturday - stuffed shells, orange tossed salad with sweet lite dressing, and homemade French bread
Sunday - leftovers

On my 'to do' list...

- Monday - Plan the week ahead, do my weekly "home blessing", do laundry, and enjoy the holiday
- Tuesday - Take a friend and my cousin grocery shopping
- Wednesday - Shop for garden plants with my husband and work on my Spring 2018 Bucket List
- Thursday -  Figure June bills and budget, change the calendars pages from May to June
- Friday - Go to the bank, pay bills, work
- Saturday - Work
- Sunday - Church, work

In the craft basket...


This is one of the little girls that attended my nature weaving class on
Saturday. She did a really good job and I love her selections of natural items!

Looking forward to this week...


I've not gotten a lot done at home since returning from spring training, so I'm hoping to catch up with myself and get things done and put away. I'm not even done unpacking yet! 😲

Something interesting I watched...

Hidden America: "Children of the Mountains" 

Although I've never been to Appalachia, my people come from there and I can relate to so much of what is portrayed here. I made me cry.

What I found while surfing the net...

A Portrait of the Ozarks - Part 1 - Shannon County: Home

Shannon County Missouri is where my dad lived when he was a boy. We used to visit family there when I was growing up and many memories were made when we'd spend weekends camping on the Jack's Fork River. A lot of my ancestors, including my great-grandparents are buried there and those hills and hollers are filled with many of my cousins and their families. Shannon County, Missouri will always hold a special place in my heart and the mist in those mountains still beckons me to visit as often as possible. 🌄


From the camera...

Our next-to-the-youngest son and his wife had the family over for a cookout yesterday and I had a blast making memories with the grandchildren. They took turns riding with me as I drove each of them around the block on my son's four-wheeler. Then, their uncle hooked the trailer up and they got to go for a hayride. It was a lot of fun! 💗



Scripture passage...




Well, Ladies, that's it for this week! I pray that each and every one of you have a blessed and beautiful week ahead! And I'll see you next week! 💗

Until Next Time...
~Rebecca

Recent and related posts that you might enjoy reading...


Happy Homemaker Monday - May 21, 2018


Happy Homemaker Monday - May 14, 2018


7 comments:

  1. Very sad about the cherry tree.
    I too would live where it is autumn all year round! Extreme temperatures of - or + 30 are too much for me.
    Seems you had fun at your son's house.
    Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it really had me bummed out at first, but, since there are plenty of baby trees, I'm good! Hope your week is off to a lovely start, Luludou! Blessings! <3

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry about the cherry tree. Growing up in Poland, my grandparents had a cherry orchard. I would LOVE some cherry jelly, if you are ever aiming to sell it!!! Psalm 4:8 is what my older daughter had written on a slip of paper and kept under her pillow to keep the nightmares away when she was about 4. Sweet memories! Have an amazing week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have a cherry orchard, Joanna, and, who knows? With all the babies that are out there that just might happen someday. The cherries on the downed tree didn't grow any more, but they did ripen. We picked enough last night to make a batch of jelly. It made 3 1/2 pints, so I'm happy. Am hoping to pick more today, freeze the juice, and make more as soon as I can get to town to get more pectin and sugar...which I forgot yesterday. :( (40 miles round-trip, so don't go anymore often than have to.) Anyway, if I get a surplus I will let you know! Love the sweet memory of your daughter sleeping with Psalm 4:8 under her pillow. <3 Have a blessed weekend!

      All My Love,
      ~Rebecca

      Delete
  3. Sorry about your trees! Maybe you need to do a 30 days of summer ;) I found a bit of appreciation for autumn doing my series but Spring/summer are still my favorite seasons (except for the possibility of seeing snakes, not so fond of that). Hope you have a great week and it doesn't get too miserable hot for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome idea, Jean! I will think on that. Are you going to be doing a 30 Days of Summer series? If so, how do you plan to execute it? 30 posts in one particular month? Or 30 posts over the course of the season? Let me know and maybe I'll join you! Sounds like an interesting and fun challenge! Have a blessed weekend, my friend! <3

      Delete
    2. Ahhh! I think I'm just getting it. It was a joke!!! Ohmygoodness! I do think it's a great idea though and maybe we should!!! LOL!

      Delete

I value your readership and love reading your comments! Please leave one today so that I know you were here! Have a wonderful day and God bless you!