Thursday, June 28, 2018

30 Days of Summer - Post #3 - Summer Nights

"In rhythm with the turning earth, the sun appears to move across the sky from east to west. In late afternoon, as it begins to slip below the horizon, a deep glow of reds, oranges, and yellows flood the western sky beneath a ceiling of blue. 
    Shafts of fading light gradually pull the darkness over the ground and gently nudge the day aside. Night slowly fades into the spaces between branch and twig and blades of grass. Hilltops, treetops, and the sky over fields and meadows are among the last places to be filled with night. You can observe this gradual and impressive transition away from daylight if you take the time to look. Watch as day fades into night first along the floor of forest and field and slowly makes its way up into thickets and around vines, shrubs, and small trees. Watch as darkness continues its rise to the sky. You will see the blue ceiling change form pale blue to cobalt and finally to a black dome punctuated by points of light." 
                                                                
                            Taken from Discover Nature at Sundown by Elizabeth P. Lawlor

What a beautiful way to end each day!


The First Sunset Of Summer 2018

Of course, I didn't always feel that way about the night. In fact, there have been times in my life, when I was absolutely terrified of it! But not now. Now, I love observing nightfall and all the activity that takes place in the natural world as dusk becomes twilight, twilight turns into night, and the nighttime deepens. It's a whole 'nother world than that of daytime! 



Monday evening, after my husband and I returned home from our granddaughter's birthday party, we decided to go for a walk. It was late (after 10:00) before we got started. First thing out the door we were met by a cute (and very fat) toad that was sitting smack-dab in the middle of the front porch doorstep eating bugs under the porch light. 

As we made our way down the alley that runs between our place and the neighbors, we spotted a fox perfectly silhouetted against the light from the street-light that sits across from where the alley and the next street over meet. What a great start to our walk! 🦊

As we made our way around our usual trek, we observed other creatures of the night in their natural habitat. A chorus of Blanchard's cricket frogs serenaded us as their clickety-clackety voices played against the deeper, rumbling call of bullfrogs, while moths flitted and fluttered as they criss-crossed the path in front of us. Like a band of pixies carrying tiny torches, lightening bugs lit up the edges of the field, summoning us to follow them deeper into the forest, making it easy for us to become mesmerized by them. 
Lightening Bug (also known as a Firefly)
When I was very young, I can remember spending many a summer night chasing lightening bugs in the darkness, catching them, and putting them in a jar (one that had small holes poked in the lid, of course) to sit on the nightstand beside my bed. I delighted in watching their tiny flashing lights as they signaled to each other across the way. I guess I'm not much different now. I actually chased several lightening bugs Monday night before finally catching one. The only difference is, this time, I caught it, observed it's flashing light through my clasped fingers, and promptly let it go. 😊

And the moon! 😲 There is nothing more beautiful on a summer night than a full moon spilling its light over into places that would, otherwise, be hidden deep in shadow. The moon was so bright Monday night that its light actually penetrated the spaces between the leaves of the trees casting itself between their shadows on the forest floor. It was awesome! 🌝


As our nighttime adventure came to a close and my husband and I made our home, we talked of the grandeur of the night sky and the intricacies of the natural world at night. What a beautiful and amazing world that the Lord God created and gave to us to enjoy! 

Until next time...
~Rebecca



Recent and related posts that you might enjoy reading...

Happy Homemaker Monday - June 25, 2018







2 comments:

  1. Loved reading this. Felt like I was right there with you on that hike after dark. Funny, this year I've been tempted to catch a few lightning bugs myself (and then let them go, of course).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean! I'm glad you enjoyed it! And keep chasing those lightening bugs! We're only as young as we feel and we only live once. Might as well enjoy it! Blessings, my friend! <3

      Delete

I value your readership and love reading your comments! Please leave one today so that I know you were here! Have a wonderful day and God bless you!