Wednesday, November 28, 2018

30 Days of Thanksgiving - Days 27 and 28 - The Lord's Confidence and Grocery Shopping With A Friend

I got busy yesterday afternoon and evening and never did make it back here to post Day 27 of my 30 Days of Thanksgiving post, so, today, I am posting the entries for Days 27 and 28 together in one post. I hope you don't mind. 😉

Day 27 - Last night I presented my final Wild Cats of Missouri program at work (there have been five of them...two homeschool, two library, and this one...an evening program geared more toward adults). Not only was I thankful for a good turn out and for the interest that was shown by those that attended, but, after I got home, I realized that, for the first time, I had presented a program to a room full of adults (most of my programs are geared toward children, which there were only two of at last night's program, and, normally, the thought of presenting a program to a room full of adults scares the daylights out of me), but I hadn't worried or fretted about it AT ALL...I wasn't nervous...I didn't have to go over and over what I was going to do or say beforehand. I just went in there and did it! In fact, I came up with a really silly idea right in the middle of the program, went with it, and it worked! THAT was amazing! Praise God for the peace and confidence to just walk in there and do what I did without thinking and fretting about it. For that I am truly thankful! 🐈

Day 28 - And today I am thankful for the opportunity to take a friend grocery shopping. Her name is Pat and she's more than a friend, really. She's become a second mother to me. 

I've know Pat since I was 10-years-old. She and her husband, Micky, were our next-door neighbors as I was growing up at Grain Valley. Pat and Micky were childless and didn't have family, so they became an extension of our own family. Every morning Mick could be found sitting at our table drinking coffee with my dad and Pat and Mom were always doing something together. Pat and Micky even went on family outings and vacations with us sometimes. 

Right before my parents moved to southwest Missouri, Mick passed away. When we moved a year later Pat came with us. She's lived across the street from my parent's place (which is our place now) ever since, so, today, she is still my next-door-neighbor! (Thank You, God!) 💗

Mom's death in 2005 was really hard on Pat. Mom was her best friend. Mom's death was hard on me, too. Pat picked up the slack and became a mother-figure in my life. When my dad died in 2016 it went from bad to worse. I'm so thankful that Pat and I were there for each other then, and I'm even more thankful that we're still there for each other today.

Pat is 85 years old and getting quite frail, yet she's still a go-getter! She can't do everything that she'd like to do (or do them the way she used to anyway), but she's not one to sit around and just give up. Oh, no! She's determined as she can be to keep up and moving as long as she possibly can! 

We go places and do things (not like we used to, of course), but she stays as active as she can and still enjoys our outings, even if it's just going out for lunch, to do the grocery shopping (she pushes the cart while I do the shopping), to her annual doctor's appointment (yes, annual...once a year), or to get ice cream (she loves getting ice cream)! 😄 Whatever we're doing we make the best of it and have a great time doing it!

Speaking, of which, it's almost time to go grocery shopping and I'm not even dressed yet! I better be going! I am thankful, though, for Pat (and for Micky), for the friendship they have shared with our family since I was a child, and for the additional time that the Lord has blessed us with since my parents have passed. Like I said, Pat is more than a friend...she has become a second mother to me and I love her with all my heart. 💗

Until next time,
~Rebecca

5 comments:

  1. Woah! I'm really digging the template/theme of this site.
    It's simple, yet effective. A lot of times
    it's tough to get that "perfect balance" between usability and
    visual appeal. I must say you have done a very good
    job with this. In addition, the blog loads super fast for
    me on Safari. Excellent Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Appreciate you taking the time to comment! Blessing for a lovely holiday season! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. bookmarked!!, I like your website!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks very nice blog!

    ReplyDelete

I value your readership and love reading your comments! Please leave one today so that I know you were here! Have a wonderful day and God bless you!