Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Spotlight On Grandma's Postcards - Lifelong Friendships

This past weekend my friend, Dorothy, came for our annual 'meet-in-the-middle-to-celebrate-our-birthdays' visit (her birthday is in June and mine is in August, so we try to get together annually to celebrate in the July). 

Image may contain: 2 people, including Dorothy Henderson, people smiling, eyeglasses, outdoor and closeup
Dorothy and I

Dorothy and I have been friends since we were girls and that, coupled with the fact that I've shared so many postcards from my grandmother's girlhood friend, Fannie Sullivan, I've decided to feature a few of Grandma's postcards that focus on friendship. 

Surprisingly, not a single one of these postcards are from Fannie. Perhaps that is because Grandma and Fannie's friendship was so easy and stable that there was no need to define it by having to label it as such.  


This postcard is from a Dorotha Pierson. There's really no message...just a 'To Maude McCann From Dorotha Pierson'. There is no postmark, no stamp, and no date.
The words that are printed on the back of the card, however, are not printed in English. Can anyone, by chance, decipher the words for me or tell me what language they are in?
This postcard is addressed to Miss Maude McCann (my grandmother) @ McPherson, Kansas. It is from a girl named Georgia, and is postmarked from Higginsville, Missouri, on November 21, 1910.

Georgia has a very fine hand and all of her capital letters are quite fancy. She says...

"Dear Maude - Taking the pleasure to answer your most welcome card. I hope you all are well and enjoying yourselves. Are you going to school? I graduated two years ago and took one term of high school, but I am not going this winter. Kiss the babies for me and think of me at Thanksgiving. - Georgia"

These last two cards are from someone who signs their name G. A. Cairns. Both are addressed to Miss Maudie McCann, Elyria, Kansas and both are postmarked from Odessa, Missouri. This one on April 15, 1908...
...and this one on October 13, 1908.
The messages on both are simple and written in a large hand. They appear, perhaps, to be from some younger person who is still in the process of developing their handwriting. 

No matter who these cards are from, I enjoy looking at them, reading (and re-reading) them, and trying to imagine who these people might have been and what they might have meant to my grandmother...what they looked like and what their character was based solely on their handwriting and the words that they wrote to her. 

I'm sure that I'm way off on all of the above, but it's still fun trying to imagine and it keeps, not only my grandmother's memory alive, but theirs, as well, because of the words that they left behind in writing to her.

Until next time...
~Rebecca

Recent and related posts that you might enjoy reading...


Grandma Maudie
300x250 Affiliate Planner Ad

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your readership and love reading your comments! Please leave one today so that I know you were here! Have a wonderful day and God bless you!