Friday, August 31, 2018

A Low-Spend September and Dollar-Stretching Food Challenge

Good morning! Happy Friday and Happy Last Day of August! 🌞

I've spent the past week-and-a-half preparing for a low-spend September and dollar-stretching food challenge. 

I started by doing a complete food-inventory last week. I did this by writing down every can, bottle, piece, or package of food on-hand in the house (deep-freeze, refrigerator, refrigerator-freezer, and cabinets) and organizing the list into categories (meat, dry beans, canned beans, vegetables, grains, etc.) 

Next I started putting the listed foods into possible meal combinations. For example, I've got plenty of whole wheat flour and cracked wheat in the deep-freeze, and in the cabinet there are two cans of whole-kernel corn and two cans of cream-style corn that really need to be used. By adding a few basic ingredients I can turn these few items into a warm, filling, and nutritious meal (Corn Chowder served with Rustic Oat and Wheat Bread) that will actually do John and I for several meals or feed a houseful of company. 


Rustic Oat and Wheat Bread
After coming up with a list of possible meal ideas that used items already on-hand, I started working them into a five-and-a-half-week menu plan that covers breakfast, lunch, supper, and snacks (the five-and-a-half-week plan started August 22nd and runs through the month of September).

After that, I went through and wrote out a grocery list of items needed to round out the meals on plan. This list included everything but the fresh items that will be needed as we get a little further down the road. John and I ran to town to pick that list of items up after I got off work Sunday evening. 

Even though tomorrow is only first day of September, we've been on this plan now for ten days and, thus far, things are going really well. At this point we are really focusing on fresh garden produce and things that have been in the cabinets and freezer for the longest period of time. 

Our overall plan is to do a low-spend September (this will, not only include not spending much for food, but for anything else during the month, as well), then restocking and doing our winter stock-up in October. In November we hope to finally get around to taking that 1940's WWII Rationing Challenge that I put on my Eighteen Things That I Want To Do In 2018 bucket list, but we shall see! 😊

Okay...so...that's what's going on here concerning our low-spend September and dollar-stretching food challenge. What about you? Are you challenging yourself in any area this month? If so, I'd love to hear about it! Feel free to share in the comments section below. 

Until next time...
~Rebecca

P.S. - There are just a few days left to get in on the drawing for Sue Hooley's Homemaker's Friend 2019 Daily Planner! To find out more, click HERE

Recent and related posts that you might enjoy reading...

30 Days of Summer - Post #27 - Starry, Starry Summer Nights


Happy Homemaker Monday - August 27, 2018


2019 Homemaker's Friend Daily Planner' Free Giveaway





2 comments:

  1. What a timely subject. In this world instant gratification,the idea of using up what we have and rationing to our needs instead of our wants, will probably be a revolutionary concept to this generation.We were raised budgeting and making do with what we had,but I don't know if today's can go one day without going to a convenience store. This will be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that, indeed, is the hard part...the convenience of modern living makes things waaaayyyy too easy sometimes. It's hard to think ahead and force myself to cook the things that need cooked in advance before they can be turned into meals, but I'm determined. Thanks for taking the time to comment! Appreciate it! :)

    ReplyDelete

I value your readership and love reading your comments! Please leave one today so that I know you were here! Have a wonderful day and God bless you!