Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Low-Spend, Dollar-Stretching Challenge - Update #4



I didn't get a chance to post my final 'low-spend' September update before the end of the month, so am doing it now. 

The end of the month didn't go as planned. We were expecting out-of-town company to come in over the weekend and stay for a week. In preparation, I went grocery shopping for fresh items, meat, and other ingredients that I would have used specifically for company meals, but, in the end, the expected company had to postpone their trip due to a situation beyond their control...so...here we are. I spent extra $$$ that I didn't need to spend, BUT, we're going into October well stocked on fresh items! Yeah!!!

We've still got a lot of grains (steel-cut and old-fashioned oats, flax meal, corn meal, oat bran, etc.), dry beans and peas, squash, and peppers in the deep-freeze, so we will continue to focus our usage on them, but the cupboards are nearly bare, so I plan to restock them soon. This will include replenishing items such as whole-wheat pasta, tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, black beans, and chili beans. I'm also looking forward to getting back to frozen fruits and vegetables (strawberries, blueberries, cauliflower, and broccoli), salmon fillets, and other foods that we've been doing without in the midst of this low-spend adventure.

Now...while I'm disappointed with how the month of September started off and ended, I do have to say that, overall, I am quite pleased because, despite all, we managed to hang on to several hundred extra dollars this month and much of that resulted from purposefully saving money at the grocery store. If I can continue to focus on using up the things that we still have on-hand (the cupboard items that we do have, the grains, dry beans and peas, squash, and peppers from the deep-freeze, and the extra items purchased towards the end of the month), we should be able to continue to save back extra $$$ in October, as well.

So...that's how our low-spend September ended. What are some of the ways that you save on grocery $$$ in your home?

Until next time...
~Rebecca

Recent and related posts that you might enjoy reading...


Happy Homemaker Monday - October 1, 2018




No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your readership and love reading your comments! Please leave one today so that I know you were here! Have a wonderful day and God bless you!